From CEO to Fitness Coach, PT & Development Coach – having sold a global IT company in early 2019 that I founded over 21 years ago, it was time for a change and to do something that I love.
It is fair to say that the first 10 years of building my IT company were some of the hardest years of my life. We were seeing good growth in the Australian market and I then focused on opening export markets initially in the UK. For a number of years, I flew back and forth to London until my family and I moved to London to head up the growth in that part of the world. It was only then that I realised I needed to have more of an active lifestyle for my own health and wellbeing which had been neglected over those years.
I was in what’s called the ‘contemplation’ stage of behaviour change when my wife encouraged me to try a PT session at our local gym and I’ll never forget the delayed-onset muscle soreness (DOMS) I felt for almost 2 weeks after that first session!
But I committed to a PT session twice a week and remember feeling better with myself and then seeing a difference in my body definition! It was only a few months after that that this training felt a little addictive. I also saw first hand the many benefits of having a more active and balanced lifestyle from a family and business perspective.
My family and I moved back to Australia in 2012 to our beachside home of Coogee Beach in NSW, joined the local surf club and became even more active, especially with outdoor activities like ocean swims, cycling and beach running.
In mid 2014 and with the winter months just ahead of us, I asked a few friends who I was training with on the beach, if they had any desire to continue our training through winter and it was at that point that Scroopy’s HiiT was formed and our numbers were anything from 8 to 20 on the beach for any particular session.
Over the past 5 years, I have obtained a number of awards and certificates including; Surf Lifesaving Gold Medallion (advanced lifesaving), Surf Lifesaving State Champion in the 2km soft sand beach run for the past 4 years straight, SLSA Development Coach & Assessor and more recently, obtaining my Certificate III & IV in Fitness.
Certificates and memberships
- Certificate IV in Fitness SIS40215
- Certificate III in Fitness SIS30315
- Fitness Australia AusREP Business Member No.: 164031
- SLSA Gold Medallion (Advanced Lifesaving)
- SLSA Silver Medallion Aquatic Rescue
- SLSA Certificate II in Public Safety (Aquatic Rescue) PUA21012
- SLSA Development Coach; Boards, Beach & Surf Swim Disciplines
- SLSA Development Coach Assessor NS10972819
- ASADA Anti-Doping Level 1
- ASC Community Coaching General Principles Awards
- Provide Advanced Resuscitation HLTAID007
- Provide Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) HLTAID001
- Provide First Aid Certificate HLTAID003
- Working with Children Check (WWCC)
- SLSNSW 2km Beach Run State Champion 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 & 2020